History of Sheboygan Falls
The Great American Main Street Award
As a “Wisconsin Main Street” community, Sheboygan Falls is dedicated to the preservation of its historic structures. To date, over 40 buildings have been rehabilitated and restored to their original late 1800s architectural beauty, winning Sheboygan Falls “The Great American Main Street Award” in 1995. This award is given to only five communities annually on a nationwide basis in recognition of their revitalization efforts.
Sheboygan Falls Historic Downtown District
Cole Historic District
The Cole Historic District is one of the few remaining historic districts in the state of Wisconsin to display the early development of a Wisconsin community from the 1830s and 1840s. The district’s two residences, mill house and hotel, built between 1837 and 1848 in Greek Revival style, were owned by pioneer settler and entrepreneur Charles D. Cole. After the construction of the Sheboygan River bridge in 1839, this area declined and Sheboygan Falls developed on the west side of the river.